Finally one day when I confessed my own "shopping-with-my-kids-phobia" to a close friend, she laid it out for me. She said,"Brie, you can't keep doing this. You have to stop worrying about what could go wrong, follow your own advice and just do what needs to be done!".
Now I know that may
not sound like much of an "Ah-ha!" moment to anyone else, but it was
for me. I needed to face my fears and follow my own advice. How was I going to
help prevent my kids from having total breakdowns in public? Then I found
it...my favorite go to piece of advice for all parents in this same
predicament: H.A.L.T.
These simple four letters can alleviate most child-induced breakdowns when out and about!
These simple four letters can alleviate most child-induced breakdowns when out and about!
H: Hungry. Before you
leave the safety of your fully-stocked house, make sure no one is hungry. But
what if I am going to be out during snack time or something? Then think ahead
and pack a snack. And to be even more prepared, I even go with the +1 rule. I
always pack 1 extra snack for each child. Just in case the munchies hit
especially hard. And don't forget drinks. Many people feel the sensation of
hunger when they are truly just a little dehydrated.
A: Angry. Before you
load everyone up in the car, take a moment to really look at every one's
emotional state. Nothing can bring out the grumpies in a little one like
feeling slighted.Maybe their sibling took one of their favorite toys earlier
that day, or maybe they are still sour about being denied an extra snack or a
play date. Whatever the cause, try to work through those feelings with your
little one before leaving.
L: Lonely. I am sad to
say we get this one a lot in our house. Many times I forget that even with 2
kids, close in age, who play together all the time, sometimes they still feel
lonely...even when surrounded by family! So just like with the "A"
above, take a moment to really assess your child's feelings before you leave.
If any of them are feeling lonely, take a few minutes to give some extra
cuddles. Help fill their cup...because as you are out and about, running
errands, it is hard to give the cuddles and attention needed to help alleviate
the feelings of loneliness.
T: Tired. This one
seems like a no brainer, doesn't it Well, it's more than just "Don't plan
an outing during nap time", which, by the way, is a cardinal rule to avoid
breakdowns, but this is about your kids not running at full speed. While on
many errands, we as parents are the ones that have to do most of the legwork
(no pun intended), and our kids get to just ride along in the car, only have to
walk into the store, and then often can ride in the cart or stroller while
shopping or whatever. But to a kid, just the getting in and out of the car,
that little bit of walking, and trying to not be bored can be EXHAUSTING!
So....if your little one didn't sleep well the night before, or skipped a nap,
or just appears tired for no real reason you can think of....you might want to
think about if you really have to do this outing.
No comments:
Post a Comment