Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

DIY Bedroom Name Signs




If your daughter (or son) is as bubbly, energetic, and headstrong (nicely saying very stubborn and gets very focused on things) as mine is...then you are constantly on the lookout for something to show their individual style. Or...in the case of almost any little girls living in the Frozen A.R. time frame (A.R. = After Release), she is Frozen-CRAZY!!! That is to say...she LOVES everything Frozen! And with every other little girl in creation feeling the same way....it can be hard to match their desire for all things Frozen. Hence when a little creativity comes in handy! 

Now, this post is for a Frozen-themed bedroom name plate we made for a friend's (and thus my daughter INSTANTLY asked I make her one as well), little girl, but you can make these simple bedroom name plates for less than $5 and customize them in ANYWAY you want! 
So here is what you will need:


1. Dry-Erase Name Plates.  I picked up a 4 pack of these dry-erase name plates at Target in their "Back-to-school" $1 section. I used 2 of the name plates in my project above, but you can use more or less. It's up to you! 

2. Ribbon! Any kind will work, but in my opinion, to hang something, the thinner the ribbon wideth the better. Just make sure the name plates aren't too heavy for the ribbon. Holding up more than 2 name plates, may require a stronger, thicker ribbon. 
I used a Disney Princess Jewel ribbon I had purchased some time ago from JoAnn's ETC for another project. It was a little more expensive ($8.99 listed price) than I usually spend, but use a 50% off coupon and it isn't so bad. It make your project supply costs less, choose a less elaborate ribbon you can find in the $1 section at Target or at any dollar store. 


3. Stickers! I LOVE stickers! They can jazz up anything for a small cost!  And the cool thing about using the dry-erase name plates and stickers, it that you can move the stickers. They peel off easily so you can re-arrange them often. Change them with the seasons or your child's changeing decore tastes!
I used some Crayola colorful letters & numbers stickers I found in the dollar section at Micheals, along with some Frozen stickers I found in the greeting card section at Wal-Mart. I think I spent a total of $2.50 on all the stickers (the Frozen ones being the more expensive).



*Sorry my picture of the alphabet stickers are missing some letters. I have used them on a few projects so far! ;)

4. Hot Glue! This is a DIY/crafters basic tool. And my best investment over the years in this staple was a "cordless" glue gun. It has to be plugged in to heat up, but once it's heated, you can unplug it and use it as  "cordless" glue gun for quite a while (I would say about 30 minutes before it needs to be plugged back in). This allows me to have better movement when glueing projects. You will need the hot glue gun to glue the ribbons on. You can just use it to glue the hanging ribbon for the name plate, but if you chhose to have a 2nd name plate (or 3rd or 4th) hanging for your little one to write messages or make doodles on, then you will need to measure to equal lenths of ribbon to hnag them off the prior name plate.


And you are DONE!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment