Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Top 5 Time Saving Tips

Now I am not the most T.E.M. (Time Effective Mom)- let me put that down on the record first.  Many days when you chat with me, I will use the phrase "overwhelmed" but that is just part of my Type-A, high anxiety personality. I am always the first one to make a joke (at my own expense) and to point out my flaws. That's just me, but there are times when I will recognize my own strengths and time saving is one of them!
 So here are a couple of tips I have come across that have originated from great advice from my family and friends, reading countless magazine articles and blogs, as well as my own "Ah-ha!" moments over the past 6 yrs of being a mommy, a wife, and me:

1. Break house chores down by days. 
I have my house chores broken down by days. I can always do them more often than once a week, but on those busy weeks, I know things were done...even if just once. This helps me from feeling overwhelmed by house work.
Here is an example:
Monday: Wash towels and sheets & collect trash
Tuesday: Clean bathrooms & collect recycles
Wednesday: Dust & vacuum (I try to keep these on the same day because the dusting causes a need to vacuum)
Thursday: Wash kids clothes & Clean bathrooms again
Friday: Mop floors & start weekly wash
Saturday: Whatever is still needed
Sunday: Whatever is still needed

2. Enlist help with chores. 
Why not ask for help? Last time I checked, I wasn't alone in making the mess in the house. I'll be honest though, this was a hard one for me with my husband. I had a very hard time telling him that I really needed help. But when I did (in one of my many overwhelmed moments of tears for failing as the "perfect wife", he understood and jumped right in! Every night, he clears the table and puts away left overs. That little thing helped a lot. But don't stop there! If your kids are able to walk, they can help with all kinds of chores. It teaches them about helping around the house and picking up after themselves!
At age 2, our kids were simply picking up their toys. By age 5 & 6, they now make up their beds (all I require is that their sheets and comforter are pulled up to their pillows); sort, fold, & put aways their clothes (I often come in to help some so things aren't just stuffed into their dressers), help unload some dishes from the dishwasher, pick up after the dog, feed the dog, help with cleaning their bathroom, and so on.
Here is a link to some age appropriate chores your children can do. Mind you they can do these....there is no reason that they should be doing all of them under the age of 5. But it does give you some ideas on what are reasonable expectations. 

3. Do laundry by folding/placement, not necessarily colors. 
Now this one can take some planning and can be tricky. Many of us have similarities with the clothes we wash. For example, almost all of the shorts in my house, they are cotton and colored. So most of the are washed the same way (cold water setting), and folded the same way when being put away. Same goes for pants in our house. When I started sorting my laundry by what went where and how I folded them...it turned my my "putting away" time for laundry from 2 hrs to 1 hr. I was able to get things put away much quicker. Which meant the clean clothes didn't sit in a pile in the dryer or a laundry basket waiting to be folded (and getting more wrinkled by the minute).Just try it sometime. I bet you will find it a lot less scary and quicker than you ever thought it would be!

4. Plan at least 1 "regular" (and simple) dinner dish a week. 
Some people can plan their dinner meal for a whole month in advance. Others can do it week by week. Me? Well, let's just say planning dinner is not my forte' . With that being said, I do spend time looking through my cupboards and fridge trying to figure out dinner many days. But! On those days that I have a set meal, there is no time wasted on figuring out what we can do. My daughter has quite a thing for Taco Tuesday, so every Tuesday I know that I am just pulling together a few simple things for a taco bar set up for dinner. And done! But make it whatever simple dish you and your family like...maybe spaghetti or hot dogs or even sandwich night. 

5. Don't sweat the small stuff! 
Okay, this is not a typical "time saving tip" you hear, but hear me out on this one. If you are constantly worked up on how to get every, little (small) thing done/completed, you waste time worrying and even OVER PLANNING (gasp!). Yes, a self-proclaimed planner, just said...don't plan everything! Also...you will never be able to save any time if you are constantly trying to accomplish it all!






No comments:

Post a Comment